Avoid Driving While Drunk
The worst car accidents happen because of the negligence and recklessness of drivers. One of the most negligent and reckless thing you can do on the road is to drive while under the influence of alcohol. This is because alcohol has significant effects on your body that can limit your capabilities. This puts you at risk of car accidents. In fact, it is not just you who is at risk, because the others around you may even be involved in the accidents that you may cause
Those who have been victims of drunk driving accidents may get compensation from the responsible party – you. Not only that, drunk driving is also illegal, so you may face consequences such as substantial fines, license suspensions, and jail times.
The law is so strict against drunk driving because, as mentioned earlier, it is a threat in our roads. Here are some of the effects of alcohol on your body that can compromise your driving:
- Emotional tendencies, and these emotions may serve as mental distractions
- Feelings of drowsiness, making you close your eyes or lose focus on the road
- Poor comprehension, making you prone to misunderstand and misjudge road signs and traffic events
- Poor control of the body, especially the parts that are important for driving – head, eyes, arms, hands, legs, and feet
- Reckless tendencies, as drunk drivers are more likely to speed and weave through traffic
Both the jurisdiction and the driver should stop drunk driving. For jurisdictions, they can make stricter DUI laws and increase the possibility of arrest, such as setting up check points on strategic locations and encouraging authorities to really arrest drunk drivers.
For drivers, the key to avoid drunk driving is to pass the burden of driving to someone else. Here are some of the things they can do:
- Leave their vehicles at home
- Take public transportation instead
- Get a designated driver who will not take any impairment products
- If they already have their vehicles with them, give their keys to someone else to prevent access
Stay in until they become sober